This Product Guide is intended for administrators of InMotion’s Flex Metal Cloud product or any system administrator that is running their first OpenStack and Ceph private cloud. If you are not a current customer, you can signup and try on-demand private cloud for free.
These guides are also inside of Flex Metal Central. If you are current customer we recommend those guides as they may be more current than this set. Additionally, you can download the Cloud Operators guide as a PDF from inside Central. Login Here.
Of note, Flex Metal Clouds use two powerful Open Source softwares, OpenStack and Ceph. They form the core of our hyper-converged and converged clouds. They are extremely powerful and thus not all details can be covered here.
The first place to start is with our OpenStack Cloud Operator’s Manual. This manual was designed to allow a sophisticated system administrator to learn how to managed a cloud in roughly 40 hours of hands on training and experimenting.
In the case where you have purchased the Managed Private Cloud service level, we still recommend this manual, but it is not required as your Managed team will be administering your cloud for you.
Additional Private Cloud Documentation or Announcements
- Uses for GPUs: 4 Reasons Other Than Gamingby Alyssa KordekWhile Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) are commonly used to render computer graphics for video games, there are a number of uses for GPUs other than gaming. GPUs can be used for video editing, 3D graphics rendering, and much more. With a high processing throughput, GPUs can process more data than their Central Processing Unit (CPU) counterparts, making Read More >
- What is GPU Parallel Computing?by Sam BrownGPU parallel computing refers to a device’s ability to run several calculations or processes simultaneously. In this article, we will cover what a GPU is, break down GPU parallel computing, and take a look at the wide range of different ways GPUs are utilized. What is a GPU? GPU vs. CPU GPU Parallel Computing What are GPUs Read More >
- GPUs and CPUsby Alyssa KordekWhile the differences between graphics processing units (GPUs) and central processing units (CPUs) may seem self-explanatory, there are a number of key differences that are not immediately apparent. Even though both GPUs and CPUs handle complex computational tasks, they differ in their processing power, number of processor cores, and ability to handle concurrent processing tasks. In this article Read More >
- How Can We Remove Barriers to Widespread Adoption of Open Source Infrastructure for Private Clouds?by Sash GhoshThis article uses current cloud adoption and usage statistics to build on the discussion (in the video) between Todd Robinson, President of InMotion Hosting and Marc Collier, COO of OpenInfra Foundation about the current challenges around widespread adoption of OpenStack powered infrastructure, especially in the context of private clouds for SMBs. Todd Robinson is the President and Read More >
- On-Demand Private Cloud Powered by OpenStack General Availabilityby AshleyInMotion Hosting Establishes a New Foothold InMotion Hosting establishes a foothold in the IaaS and Private Cloud markets by announcing the general availability of Flex Metal Cloud IaaS. Flex Metal Cloud offers an On-Demand Private Cloud powered by OpenStack, an open-source infrastructure platform. In this article: On-Demand Private Clouds Made Easily Accessible for Smaller IT Teams The Read More >
- Scaling VM Workloads on Private Cloudsby Jadon NaasIntroduction Properly scaling workloads is one of the biggest concerns for experienced cloud professionals. This is due to improperly scaled workloads on public clouds that result in high costs. A workload that is not scaled big enough will have poor performance, but a workload that is scaled too big will waste money. This is a waste of Read More >
- Matching Public Cloud Offerings on an OpenStack Private Cloudby YuriyPublic Cloud now offering the Abracadabra Package! Seems like every other week we hear about a new service coming out of the public cloud: Lambda! Compute Engine! BigQuery! Glue! Athena! Fargate! Purview! Each of these new services comes with a new innovative marketing campaign, unique name, and the feeling that this is going to be better than Read More >
- On-Demand OpenStack – FMC Release V1.1by Todd RobinsonFlex Metal Cloud Release V1.1 – Feb 15th, 2021 Our goal is to enable smaller teams to easily learn, run, and grow private cloud infrastructure. We are also big Open Source fans so we are focused on improving OpenStack for use by smaller teams. This can mean teams of 1 to teams of 100s. OpenStack, to architect, Read More >
- The Age of Small Tech Enterpriseby YuriyIn this article, you will learn a history lesson of how far Small Tech Enterprises have come through the years and where they are at today. In this article: Small Tech Enterprises Back in the Day Small Tech Enterprises Present Evolution The Future of Enterprise Cloud Small Tech Enterprises Back in the Day Let’s talk about ‘back Read More >
- Why Move from Public Cloud to Private Cloudby Jadon NaasCloud Repatriation is the Choice of Cloud Professionals Public cloud users are finding out that for all their convenience and so-called affordability, they are not suitable for their workloads. Serious work requires serious infrastructure. Private clouds are the perfect solution for experienced cloud professionals who are tired of shocking cloud bills, or disappointing performance from their public Read More >
- Detailed Private Cloud Pricing Backgroundby Todd RobinsonOn-Demand Private Cloud Pricing A repeat of many previous posts: Here at InMotion we are reshaping OpenStack from the traditional large footprint deployment. We believe that Open Source based private clouds are a critical counterpoint to the mega public clouds. The leading open source cloud management system is OpenStack. But, OpenStack is complex as is is both Read More >
- 2021 Growth Trends of Cloud Computing and Cloud IT Infrastructure Marketsby Sash GhoshA year into COVID-19 has resulted in great devastation across the world but has also revealed the resiliency, generosity and inherent adaptability of human nature. Social distancing and stay at home directives forced major adjustments not only in our personal lives, but also in business, education and social activities. All aspects of human life that had already Read More >
- What the CentOS 8 EOL Means for Youby Jadon NaasShifting to CentOS Linux On December 8th, 2020, Red Hat shocked the Linux server world. They announced they would be shifting all of their investment in CentOS Linux from the popular downstream CentOS distribution to the upstream CentOS Stream project. The shift was scheduled to happen on December 31st, 2021. CentOS 8 will also reach its End-of-Life Read More >
- Ceph Crimson – Performance Testing on NVMeby Todd RobinsonWe are closely following the Ceph advancements targeting NVMe performance. We use Ceph as the hosted private cloud core of our Infrastructure as a Service Product. Our concern is, as is many long time fans of Ceph, is how will Ceph adapt to NVMe performance when its history has long been rooted in spinning media. As an Read More >
- Automation Killed the Data Center Starby Jadon NaasWhere do people fit inside the data center of the future? The aging data center workforce poses unique challenges for providers, especially with the boom in online services. Hyperscale cloud providers are actively looking for ways to automate every single aspect of the cloud process, and human workers can easily become another bottleneck in the pipeline delivering Read More >
- Serverless Computing the Next Big Thingby Jadon NaasThe Trends Making Serverless Computing the Next Big Thing in Cloud Computing Serverless computing is one of the most exciting trends in cloud computing. It gives you the best of the cloud at the best cost efficiency. Web developers and application providers recognize serverless computing as the solution that best meets their needs, and they are inventing Read More >
- Edge Computing is the New Server Roomby Jadon NaasUnderstanding What’s Best for Your Architecture Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me Remember when big enterprise IT providers wanted you to put their cutting-edge hardware in your server room to upgrade your infrastructure? They promised you the best technology, industry-leading software, and a much better return on your investment than building Read More >
- Sizing a Hyper Converged OpenStack Private Cloud Control Planeby Todd RobinsonThis discusses sizing of a Flex Metal Cloud Core. A Flex Metal Cloud Core is a combination of OpenStack and Ceph hyper converged onto 3 servers. See our Flex Metal private cloud pages. You can also review much of our configurations on Github if you are not a customer yet. There are two major flavors of the Read More >
- What is Cloud Privacy?by Megan GWhen thinking about privacy on a cloud network a few things come to mind. You may be thinking, how do I keep my data secure? Or how do I keep my network locked down? In this article, we will discuss those things and more. Cloud Privacy is the concept of keeping your cloud secure and there are Read More >
- What is a Serverless Architecture?by Jadon NaasServerless architecture is one of the most cutting edge and advanced approaches to cloud computing today. With a serverless architecture, you can serve your application or workload literally without servers. Learn how a serverless architecture works and when you might use a serverless architecture. How can you have no servers? Serverless application design Development tools Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) Read More >